"Beer in Colorado" is dedicated to that divine elixir born of the marriage of water, malt, hops, and yeast as interpreted
by those living in Colorado. Follow the author as he visits every brewery in the state, creates experimental homebrews,
attends beer festivals, tries interesting beers from around the world, and spreads the good word of beer. Prost!

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Burns Family and Novel Strand


As you likely surmised from the previous post, these kids of ours take up a lot of time and a lot of mental capacity, dulling our senses and making prolonged coherent thought nigh impossible.  Thus, I’m trying a new approach.  I’ll present each brewery visit recap in vignette form: short, self-contained, semi-related, bulleted paragraphs.  Let’s give this approach a spin with Burns Family Artisan Ales and Novel Strand Brewing Company.

  • Transpose the “U” and “R” in “Burns Family” and you get my family name.  This pleases me.
  • Burns Family is located in the space Wit’s End Brewing Company vacated when they shacked up with Strange Craft Beer Company.  Burns Family didn’t make any dramatic changes but, cosmetically, it looks different.  Whereas Wit’s End kept the industrial space looking, well, industrial, Burns Family swanked the place up with some mid-century modern furniture straight off the Mad Men set.  Actually, I must confess I’ve never seen Mad Men.  If you’ve seen Mad Men and have also been to Burns Family, is my assessment a fair one?
    Burns Family

    Burns Family
  • I ordered the Bumblebee Feet because I needed one more braggot to get the Hey Honey badge on Untappd but some fool categorized the beer as simply “honey beer” and that generic classification does not count towards the badge.  I’m still one braggot shy and I refuse to drink any straight-up mead to get myself there.  I have standards, you know?  Untappd is for beer, not mead, cider, or root beer; this is my decree.
  • I also ordered the Ancient Art, a brut barleywine.  In the craft beer industry, every innovation will inevitably spawn more mini-innovations.  It was only a few months ago that brut IPAs came to Colorado and we’re already on to brut barleywines.  What will be the next “brutalized” beer style?
    Close-up of the bar front at Burns Family
  • On a similar note, Colorado is one of the nation’s—nay, world’s—best places to get a beer yet we don’t have a “native” or regional style to call our own.  The left side of the country has the West Coast IPA, the right side has the New England IPA, San Francisco has the California Common and the brut IPA, even Florida has the Florida Weisse.  Colorado is a much better beer region than Florida, why can’t we introduce something new to the world?  I don’t think brut barleywine is necessarily going to fill that void, but we might as well throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.
  • I may have made a bit of a horse’s ass of myself at Burns Family.  Our friend Justin was entertaining our daughter by throwing her Koosh Ball really high up in the air when, against all odds, it landed on top of a rafter and got stuck.  Looking to be my kid’s hero, I wadded up my coat and tossed it up to dislodge the ball.  Well, I accomplished what I set out to do but then my coat got stuck up there.  The bar staff had to poke at it with a long stick to get it back down.  I got my fair share of I told you sos from Nicole after that.
    Here is the Koosh Ball stuck up in the rafters...

    ...and here is my coat stuck up in the rafters.  But notice the Koosh Ball isn't up there.  I was technically successful in getting the ball down.
  • Man, Bumblebee Feet and Ancient Art are high in ABV and by the time we got to Novel Strand I was pretty much done with taking photos and paying attention to details.  I was just BSing around with Nicole and the kids and our friends from that point on.  So, I don’t have much to say about Novel Strand other than I remember all the beers being really good and I like the cozy, brick-walled taproom.

Prost!

Chris

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing stories on this blog again. I loved the recap of your visit, and the total honesty of only being able to focus enough to write about one of the two breweries. Still, for entertainment sake, nothing can top the coat on the rafters. Well done! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete