"Beer in Colorado" is dedicated to that divine elixir born of the marriage of water, malt, hops, and yeast as interpreted
by those living in Colorado. Follow the author as he visits every brewery in the state, creates experimental homebrews,
attends beer festivals, tries interesting beers from around the world, and spreads the good word of beer. Prost!

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Postpartum Blogging: Getting Back to the Beer Grind with Frolic Brewing Company



Looking like a star on the way to The Butterfly Pavilion
What have you been up to these past three years?  I can tell you what Nicole and I have been doing—having and raising two kids.  Hence, our prolonged absence from this blog.  Say what you will about children, say they’re the worst thing or say they’re the best thing (both statements are true, it depends on the day) but there’s one undeniable truth—they take up a lot of time.

By no means have we stopped drinking or going to breweries.  In fact, shortly after our first-born, we went on a brewery spree, we were so excited Nicole could imbibe once again.  However, we haven’t been documenting our adventures and, even though we have two little imps sucking up our leisure time, it’s important now more than ever to keep a record.  By the time our kids are old enough to have opinions they’ll undoubtedly think their parents are lame and, frankly, they’ll be right; when one has children one no longer concerns themselves with Fortnite, My Space, La Macarena, or whatever the hell kids are into these days.  The kids need to know that their mom and I were once young and cool, too.  And then I want them to feel bad when they realize they’re the reason we now suck so bad. 
Weirdest dang butterflies I ever seen

So let's start this blog back up!  The family took a little weekend trip to Westminster (somewhat) recently and stopped by The Butterfly Pavilion which is a good, wholesome name to lure kids into the building before pulling the rug out from under them  when all the other creepy, crawly invertebrates on display besides the titular Lepidopterans are revealed.
Nobody who knows Nicole would have thought they'd ever see a picture like this

The girls in the family are beating the boys in the tarantula-holding contest by a factor of one

We gave our children the willies checking out the various spiders, scorpions, and cockroaches and probably traumatized my daughter explaining that the nightmarish giant isopod is what her beloved little rolly-polly bugs would look like magnified before we set out to explore the namesake atrium.  The actual butterfly pavilion was a good way to lull the kids into a false sense of security before telling my daughter there was something she had to do before earning her snack for the day: hold Rosie, the Chilean rose hair tarantula.  

Although a bit trepidatious, she actually didn’t mind the experience.  At only three years old she’s not had enough time to develop a phobia.  Nicole held the spider, too, which was more amazing because she has had time to develop a phobia; it’s my duty to swat down every cobweb in the house and squash every little eight-legged black dot that manifests itself on the walls.  Of course, for all my heroics at home, I sure as hell wasn’t touching Rosie.  Nicole modeled her tarantula-holding technique for our daughter so I’ll do the same for our son when he’s older.  Maybe.  I have a few years to think about it.



After conquering her fear, Nicole was owed a beer and, after watching other people conquer their fear, I was owed some suds, too, so we headed out to Frolic Brewing Company.  Out in the suburban prairies of Westminster and occupying the endcap unit of a strip mall, Frolic makes the best of a not especially aesthetically pleasing environment with a sprawling patio, a game area with over-sized tabletop games and cornhole, and a few interesting interior design details such as the privacy wall near the restrooms which features grains of various degrees of kilning sandwiched between clear plastic creating an hombre effect.  Plus, a lot of teacher-orientated flags hanging from the ceiling which is a nice touch for an education-centric household such as ours.


Grain wall at Frolic
Grain wall at Frolic
After a short father/daughter dance-off on the vast concrete floors, we settled in for a beer.  First, I had the Anaheim Pepper Saison.  I like chili beers so I liked this one.  I don’t know about the whole “saison” part, though; I guess the hot peppers drowned out the fruity, spicy yeast qualities.  Then, a flight of Citra IPA (exactly what you’d expect; an IPA with craft beer's most popular hop), Vienna Lager (silky and malty), and Cranberry Gose (there are some who poo-poo kettle sours but I really don't care about the process; I paraphrase Andrew Zimmern when I say “If it tastes good, drink it!”).


Anaheim Pepper Saison
Left to right: Citra IPA, Vienna Lager, and Cranberry Gose

I think I’ll give this blog post the old Irish good-bye and just end it abruptly and without much warning because all this happened over Labor Day weekend and I began writing this post shortly thereafter.  That’s how much time kids will take up in your life, it took me about two and a half months to write eight paragraphs.  If I don’t post now, I never will.

Until next time:

Prost!

Chris

We fed the animal
They don't just hand these out to anyone, y'know

Brewing equipment at Frolic

Bar area at Frolic
Arrr! Pirate teacher!




1 comment:

  1. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete